The quality control laboratory of the feed mill usually has specific machines for various tests and equipment and glassware required for the corresponding tests. However, a lab can be arranged with different machines of different companies. The specifications of one machine are different. Procedures are different. Basically, the upgrade of the machine is constantly happening for the benefit of the day to day upgrades of technology. Just as the FOS method is used to test crude protein, the same can be done with the Geldal method. The most advanced upgraded technology is Near Infra Red Technology (NIR) – in this technology it is possible to test several samples in just a few seconds or minutes with just one NIR machine. We will discuss this expensive technology and machine in a different episode. So in this episode, I will only discuss the machineries that are in charge of the lab.
We will basically present these machineries in two parts.
- Main machineries
- Other accessories
A) Main machineries:
- 1) Hot air oven: This oven is basically used to test the moisture. It is also used for drying.
- 2) Muffle Furnace: Ash test is done with the help of this machine.
- 3) Digestion and Distillation Apparatus (Kjehldal Method): Basically this machine is used to test the crude protein of feed and various raw materials of feed.
- 4) Soxhlet Apparatus: Crude fat or ether extract is tested with the help of this machine.
- 5) Heater and stirrer: This machine can be used to test crude fiber and also used for heating and stirring.
- 6) Desiccator: Basically hot things are cooled in desiccator.
- 7) Analytical balance: With the help of this balance, samples and other things are weighed.
- 8) Water Distiller (Broiler Machine): With the help of this machine ordinary water is converted into distilled water.
- 9) Blender machine: Used for sample blending.
- 10) AC: To control the temperature of the lab environment.
- 11) Fridge: Used to store various things.
- 12) Desktop / Laptop: To give data input of test results in software or excel sheet, for making necessary documents and printing work.
- 13) Printer: For printing test results and other documents.
B) Other accessories:
- Glass Beaker of different sizes – 1000 ml, 500 ml, 250 ml, 100 ml, 50 ml
- Measuring cylinders of different sizes – 250ml, 150ml, 100ml, 50ml
- Kjehldal flask – 500 ml
- Fat flask – 250 ml
- Volumetric flask – 500 ml, 250 ml
- Chemical jars – 2.5 liters, 1 liter, 500 ml, 250 ml
- Petridis – (large, medium, small)
- Crucible – 30 ml
- Glass rod
- Glass funnel – 90 mm
- Pipette (25 ml, 15 ml, 10 ml)
- Pipette holder rack
- Burette – 50 ml
- Wash bottle – 500 ml
- Test tube
- Metal tongs (small, medium and large)
- Spatula (small, medium and large)
- Whatman’s filter paper – size 1 and 40
- Litmus paper
- Muslin cloth
- Surgical blades
- Register book
- Wall clock
- Hand gloves
- Face mask
FeedMill Lab will continue in the form of news episodes. good luck to all the veterinarians who want to build a career in this potential sector.
(I will discuss on “All the chemicals reagents and medicines needed in the lab in the next article).
Dr. Srabon Hasan Sajal
DVM, MS in Pathology (PSTU)
Poultry Master Android Apps